Thursday, March 28, 2013

Father-Daughter Retreat 2013

~Posted by Roma

That’s right! Ruby and I went to Vision Forum’s Father-Daughter Retreat with Daddy! We were so surprised one normal evening at dinner when Dad announced that we needed to start packing and that we would leave in two weeks! Yikes. We had to think--shopping, new shoes--you know, make sure we were “travel ready.” Bianca had gone with Dad a few years ago, and now it was our turn. But one day, we would like to make it a family trip and while everyone else would do activities in Callaway gardens, Dad could take ALL 3 of us girls to the retreat.

It’s hard to pick a favorite part of this retreat! We just loved everything—listening to the speakers at the conference center, the high tea, dinner with Dad, seeing beautiful butterflies and flowers, games and meeting new people-–oh, but I’d better not spoil too much. :-)

Day #1-Friday, March 22:

 


On the airplane. Dad, well, he likes my hat just as much as I do. J
 

As soon as we landed, we got pizza at a gas station, which was actually quite good!

Driving to the inn where we’d be staying. I like how you can see my camera in the mirror.

We made it!! After checking in our room, it had started to rain. Actually, pour! But after waiting a bit, we did get out onto the wet lawn. We still did lawn games anyway!

We did three-legged racing with three of us! We actually went faster than I thought we would….
The blindfold game. That was hard. Especially in a skirt trying to go under a triangle. J

Some Dads out there tried to do it with 4 or 5 of their daughters. Crazy.
We met a new friend our age out there--G and her dad. It was awesome meeting new girls! We three girls tried doing a three-legged race together, but, well, failed. She was actually the younger sister of a boy Ben met in Colorado! Small world.
 


After a break in our room, and freshening-up, we headed down to dinner. They had the picnic and ice cream social inside. J We got to meet even more new people at our table, like the Z family and the F family.


Everyone in the conference room. Scott Brown spoke that night. He was really good! I took LOTS of notes on his talk!


Afterwards we got into our room and crashed. We had another big day ahead of us, to dress up and meet more new people. I could squeal with delight under my covers!

Day #2 Saturday, March 23:
 
We had to get up really early this morning; We were definitely exhausted! We dressed in our high tea clothes and went downstairs.( I don’t know that Daddy was too enthusiastic about putting a tie on, but he was excited to spend time with his wonderful twins.) At breakfast I met another nice girl and her sister; A and M. There was also another girl at the table but her name escapes me. A and I talked all about Washington D.C, as we had both been there!
 


Shortly after breakfast, we went into the conference room and Scott Brown led worship.Then, Geoffrey Botkin spoke. He did a great job also.


Then came Anna Sofia and Elizabeth Botkin. We’ve enjoyed listening to them on webinars, and reading their blog, and they speak at this conference every year.


Then came Mrs. Morecraft. I loved her poetry and singing--she loved to sing--her amazing stories she had to tell, and her lesson on how daughters can be an encouragement to their fathers.




After morning sessions came the high tea! The food was…too beautiful to eat. J I just HAD to take so many pictures!
Me, Daddy, and Rubia at high tea. We sat with the Bowers family (their Dad made the movie “Agenda”) and the M family, and their girls, M and C.
 

After tea we took a picture with the Botkin sisters! That was a neat experience. They were very friendly.
Well, that’s all I’ll be writing. But this will be continued by Rubia….. until next time. I’ll just say one more time how much I loved this retreat! I did learn a lot more too, on just what kind of daughter God wants me to be to my father—and to both parents. We learned what a biblical young lady should look like today. There were great messages for fathers too. We learned how we could be a greater part of our fathers’ lives. Thanks so much. Daddy, for this great event we could do together!
 

10 comments:

Kimber Scotland said...

I'm so glad to see you girls enjoyed the retreat! My daddy took me when I was 13 and that was the turning point in my relationship with him. Up to that point I didn't really have an idea of what my role was as a teenage daughter. I was blessed to be able to publicly give my heart to my dad late that Saturday night! It's a night I'll never forget!!

I also saw that you sat with the Bowers family at high tea. That's really cool! I actually pen pal their 2nd oldest daughter C. We started writing each other after we had met at the 2007 Father/Daughter Retreat. They're a great family! Small world :)!

I can't wait to hear more!
Hannah :)

Kimber Scotland said...

I was getting ready to say how we have known the Bowers (although for the most part from afar ;) for 6 years and what a small world it really is, but I see Hannah has already filled you in on that! :) I'm glad you enjoyed your time at the F/D Retreat- I definitely did as well! I loved all the flowers that were in full bloom! I also enjoyed getting to dress up for the high tea (I guess I like dressing up ;), not to mention all the personal time with my daddy! We made lots of friends (seeing as we both have outgoing personalities! ;) It would be so much fun to go back with all of my sisters one day! We should coordinate with when y'all go back together! :)

Have a blessed week!

Joyfully His,
Alexis

Debbie said...

Roma and Rubia, you have both been blessed with a wonderful father! I really enjoyed reading about your retreat. I know that you all created special memories that will last a lifetime.
I miss you,
Aunt Debbie

7 Eagles said...

Thanks for the comment Hannah! That is awesome that you commited yourself under your Dad's authority that Saturday night! I'm hoping my relationship w/my dad will grow more and more as well; many times if something is on my mind I like to tell MOM about it, but I need to remember I have a DAD too! I'm grateful for the Dad God has put in my life, and I'm sure you are too.

We sat with the Bowers at tea; the older C might write Ruby! How cool! ~Roma

7 Eagles said...

Yes, I LOVED meeting so many girls at the retreat and making those friendships, Alexis. I enjoyed dressing up too, especially Ruby and I trying to match clothes all the time. :-)
We love matching.

Some day my Dad would like to take all three of us together. We will have to let you know when that happens. Definitely.

~Roma

7 Eagles said...

I can't agree w/you more, Aunt Debbie....about how blessed I am with your brother being my father! He has raised us in a godly way, and is a great spiritual leader. I'm glad you enjoyed reading these posts. :-) We did creat great memories. I love you.

~Roma

Noelle said...

Looks like you all had a great time on your trip. Good bonding time with your daddy :)

Kimber Scotland said...

I love matching too (ask my sisters ;)! It is even more fun when you have a identical twin sister, I would think!

Thanks! :)

Have a wonderful spring day!

Alexis

7 Eagles said...

We did have an awesome time, Aunt Noelle! Ruby and I were not even expecting to go this year, so it was quite a surprise!

Miss y'all and hope we can skype again or something soon.

~Roma

7 Eagles said...

Yes, we love matching, Alexis. We don't get to match that often, though. This might be surprising, but we're actually fraternal twins vs. identical!

By the way, congrats on gaining another sibling! God has blessed your family.

You're welcome, and have a great spring day too!

~Roma