Monday, March 11, 2013

"Two Hats" Movie Review



“Lord, Lord, I want to make a difference. But how? How can I make a difference? And do they need change? Do they want change? And if they do, where do I start? What right do I have to burst in on their culture and expect them to change? What are they thinking? Why do they do what they do? Hmm, I guess I need to make some changes too. Lord, help me to understand . . . so that I may be understood and make Your message clear.”—Brad Wells

I was instantly gripped when I heard the opening quote of the film, “Two Hats.” This 86-minute documentary quickly became one of my absolutely favorite films, and that’s a stamp of approval that not many movies have from me. J

Here’s some background on the film: In 1998, Brad and Deborah Wells left their home in Idaho to become missionaries to Papua New Guinea. At the time “Two Hats” was filmed, they had started the first Christian Radio station in PNG. They have 7 children starting in kindergarten through the 8th grade (they had 6 children in 6 years!) They homeschool their children, and do ministry together.

Some interesting facts about PNG: 80% of people live in the rural areas, and live off the land. The practice of exacting a Bride price is still practiced in PNG. Hugs and hand-holding among good friends (even men) is quite common in PNG. One quote from a native Papua New Guinean made me stop and think: “Time is different here. It’s unlike [time in the] USA. USA people have a lot of watches but not much time. Papua New Guineans don’t have watches, but we have plenty of time.” That quote really sums up the difference between Western American culture, and almost any other culture in the world.

The documentary follows the Wells family, and gives a general overview of what it’s like to be a missionary. There are many different scenarios that are dealt with in the movie including a drive to another village on the treacherous roads, an interview with a missionary pilot, a confrontation with a man holding them up for money on the drive (it’s actually a hysterical conversation), a tour of their radio station, a look into their church, kids camp at their church, and a knife attack on Brad Wells.

I think the reason I was so drawn to this movie is the transparency of the Wells family. They ask and address hard questions in the documentary. Also, their family is a picture of what I hope my family will be like one day. It would bring me such great joy to do what their family is doing.

Here are some of my favorite quotes and thoughts from the movie:

“My desire is that they [her children] will become addicted to it [ministry.]” –Deborah Wells

“As Christians, God has saved us not just so that we could go to heaven, but so that we can serve and bring others to Jesus Christ.” –Rick DeMichele (Pastor of Treasure Valley Baptist Church [Sending Church of Wells Family])

When confronted with a false prophet who is threatening curses on the family and demanding to meet with Brad Wells, he asks the question very honestly, “Do I go or do I not go?”

“You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to be a missionary (in Papua New Guinea). But you have to love the people.” –Dennis Wells (Brad’s father, also a missionary to PNG)

“What if I go and I die?” “What if you stayed and you died?” –Conversation between Dennis Wells and his wife, Dee, before they became missionaries in PNG.

“You have to wear 2 hats--if you want to live here and understand--you have to have 2 hats. You can have your white man’s hat and you can have your Papua New Guinean hat.” –Bob Hargreaves

“It’s not really about me, it’s just about my willingness. Not about my skills and not about all the things that I can offer. But it’s really about just being willing and allowing God to work.” –Chad Wells (brother of Brad Wells, also a missionary in PNG.)

“I’m a missionary because it’s the most wonderful thing in the world. It is all that God created me to be.” –Brad Wells

This documentary was very well done, and really inspired me. For anyone who feels called to foreign missions work, I believe this movie is a must-see. I highly recommend it for all ages!


Click here to watch the trailer for “Two Hats.”

2 comments:

Betsy said...

hmm sounds like one I'd like to
thanks for the recommendation

we just watched "Bamboo in Winter"
done by Open Doors ministry

it is a good reminder to pray and support the persecuted Christians in China

7 Eagles said...

I definitely think you'd like "Two Hats," Betsy! We will have to look up "Bamboo Winter." One of my favorite things at your house was your missions shelf with all the great books and movies on it! :-)

~Bianca