Saturday, March 2, 2013

My Grandpa



~Posted by Rubia (Tribute written to share at the funeral)

I am so blessed to have had such a wonderful Grandpa for almost 14 years!

There are so many things about my grandfather that I admire and appreciate. For one thing, he was a very patient man and it would take a lot for him to get even a little bit mad. I hardly ever heard him raise his voice, and if he did, he had a very good reason to. But of course, of all the grandchildren I don’t think I ever made him do that! J

Grandpa was very hospitable and generous. He had strong faith in Jesus and spent much of his time in his Bible before his passing. He was the Patriarch of our family. He loved Grandma with all of his heart, therefore setting a good example on the rest of us in his marriage. Not only in that, but in so many other ways as well.

He would write occasional letters to us children which were encouraging and fun to receive. He would tell us what he was up to and inquire of us and how we were doing, and so on. His letters were just so friendly and I always loved it when he took the time to write me.

One thing about Grandpa that was so inspiring to me was his prayers. Even if he had not had a very good day or if the weather was not so warm, he was always so grateful for each and every day that God had given him. In almost every prayer that he would pray aloud when our family was together I remember him always saying, “Heavenly Father, we come to you with grateful hearts.”

There are so many fun memories of our time with Grandpa over the years: Having hot dogs and watching fireworks in the summer time, going on trips to parks, and restaurants. Having him and Grandma come and visit us and we going to visit them. Having his homemade fudge at Christmas. Having talks and watching the birds out on the back porch.

And . . . I don’t know why I thought of this and have now decided to write it down, but there’s one thing that Grandpa loved and one thing that he did not love: Grandpa hated oatmeal. (It was always, “Grits.”) But he loved peanut brittle!

It hasn’t been easy letting go of my beloved Grandfather, but I have hope because I know I will see him again someday soon. He is no longer suffering, and he has a beautiful mansion in Heaven. I also know that when He made it to heaven, God said to him, “Well done, good and faithful servant.”

2 comments:

Unknown said...

what a blessing to be secure in the thought of seeing him again in heaven

7 Eagles said...

That is very true, Lydia. Thank you for commenting!

~Rubia