Thursday, July 25, 2013

"Glaucia the Greek Slave" Book Review



I read 75% non-fiction books. I consider fiction books to be a “break” in my routine. After I’ve read 4-6 non-fiction books, my brain usually feels like it needs a break. J But I’m also pretty picky about the fiction books I read. If I’m really in need of a mental break, I reach for Nancy Drew. J Other than that, the only fiction books I normally read are historical fiction books (but NOT historical romances.)

Most of my favorite historical fiction books have come from Vision Forum. I highly trust their company and the appropriateness of their materials, and have never been disappointed. One book I received as a Christmas gift from their catalogue is called “Glaucia the Greek Slave” by Emma Leslie. It is the first in a series of 6 books on the history of the early church. The series was written in the late 1800’s, and thus uses “older” language.

The story follows a young Greek girl named Glaucia. It begins with Glaucia and her brother in the market, being sold as slaves. Their mother had abandoned their family years before, and when their father passes away, they are sold to pay off his debts. Glaucia is sold to an elite Roman family headed for Athens, while her brother escapes and also begins to make his way to Athens to free his sister and find their mother.

During their respective journeys, they become aware of the early church movement. A man named Paul is preaching about a God who loves even slaves. Both Glaucia and her brother become curious about this “Christianity.”

The main reason I enjoyed the book, is that it brought to life part of church history. I learn and retain history through stories. Books like “Glaucia the Greek Slave” help me see history through a different perspective than what comes through a text book. I would definitely recommend this book for ages 10 and up (because of the older style language. It could be read aloud to younger children, but parents use discretion.)

I will close with my favorite quote from the book:

“‘Nay, I possess nothing,’ answered Glaucia. ‘The Lord hath taken my empty heart and filled it with His love, and I—I have nothing to give but this love, His own gift, in return.’”

3 comments:

Kimber Scotland said...

Sounds like a cool book!
If you like historical fiction, G. A. Henty are good books. They also come from Vision Forum.

In HIS Service,
Caleb

7 Eagles said...

Thank you for your comment, Caleb! I have read "In the Heart of the Rockies" by Henty, and would love to read more of his works!

~Bianca

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this review, I have read the book now and it is a truly
incredible story. Thanks you:)