Friday, July 5, 2013

"When Helping Hurts" Book Review



As part of our pre-Guatemala missions trip training, Ben and I were assigned a book to read called “When Helping Hurts: How to Alleviate Poverty Without Hurting the Poor . . . And Yourself” by Steve Corbett & Brian Fikkert. While I can’t remember the first time I had heard about this book, I know the first time I added it to my mental reading list was when it was recommended to me by the board of A Child’s Hope.

The only reason I hadn’t read the book was because we don’t have it! So when our Family Pastor handed me a copy, I was quite excited to start reading it! Poverty Alleviation is an issue that has become closer and closer to my heart this past year.

I thought I knew what to expect in reading this book. After all, I come from a family that is heavily involved with world missions on many levels. Don’t I know most everything there is to know? (Ha!) But I was amazed at how challenged, convicted, and inspired I was after reading the book!

The book is broken down into four sections. The very first section is called “Foundational Concepts for Helping Without Hurting.” This section was the most difficult to wade through. The following key questions are addressed: Why did Jesus come to earth? What’s the problem? Are we there yet?

The second section jumps into general principles of helping without hurting. The authors carefully analyze the most common ways the American church has been “helping” the poor. They tastefully—but very honestly—point out where our methods have failed and done more harm than good to the poor.

The third section shares practical strategies for helping without hurting. This was probably the section I was most interested in. It dealt with short term missions trips, missions in the United States, and missions in other cultures.

The fourth section was added more recently, and is titled, “Getting Started on Helping Without Hurting.” This section further expands how to take the ideas expressed in the book, and actually put them into practice.

I’m not quite sure where to begin in talking about the lessons I learned from reading this book. I think it’s the type of book I’ll reread several times and come away with new ideas every time. A couple of thoughts stand out above the rest:

1.) How we view Jesus and why He came to earth, affects our view of the world and our responsibilities in it. Here are two quotes on this issue from the book:

“At its core, evangelical Gnosticism fails to understand who Jesus Christ really is, replacing the biblical Jesus with ‘Star Trek Jesus,’ who beams our souls up out of this world, a world in which He is fundamentally disinterested, a world from which He is fundamentally disconnected.” (If we believe in a “Star Trek Jesus,” this earth doesn’t really matter because we’re just going to heaven anyway. But Christ calls us to more.)

“We are to embody Jesus Christ by doing what He did and what He continues to do through us: declare—using both words and deeds—that Jesus is the King of kings and Lord of lords who is bringing in a kingdom of righteousness, justice, and peace.”

2.) Missions is a long-term responsibility to all Christians. We cannot pursue “quick-fix” methods of missions; we should be pursuing long-term solutions with a “Big Picture” outlook.

When we think of the “great” missionaries, they all have one important thing in common: they gave their LIVES to declaring the gospel in a foreign country. We have to have a long-term vision and work towards that end, no matter where we go on mission.

“We are the richest people ever to walk the face of the earth. Period”. . . . “We do not necessarily need to feel guilty about our wealth. But we do need to get up every morning with a deep sense that something is terribly wrong with the world and yearn and strive to do something about it.”

3.) I need to humbly examine the methods of missions work I think are “right.” How are they affecting those I’m trying to serve? What makes them “right” or “wrong?” Can they be done better?

Ultimately, missions work is first about Christ, secondly about others, and lastly, about myself. I want to see lasting impact occur in missions! But that requires humility, and a willingness to admit that we don’t always go about it in a very beneficial and effective way.

I am really looking forward to implementing some of the lessons learned from reading this book. It will take time, lots of thought, and lots of prayer. This book truly is a “must-read” for all Christians, not just “missions-minded” Christians. Because we’re ALL called to love and care for the poor. How are you doing in that? I truly believe every Christian will benefit from reading this book!

2 comments:

989cookie said...

This is a good book. Glad you had the opportunity to read it :)

7 Eagles said...

It is indeed a good book, 989cookie! It's one I hope to reread many times!

~Bianca