Saturday, July 20, 2013

Recipe--Wacky Cake


A friend of mine is spending a year in Zambia, and she has been blogging about her adventures regularly. She loves to bake, but had to overcome the challenges of baking in a developing country. It can be hard to find certain baking “essentials” there. She recently sent me a recipe she had tried that had no eggs or milk, yet was soft, moist, and chocolatey. She said it was the “best homemade chocolate cake I’ve ever eaten.”

Julie doesn’t often use superlatives in her descriptions, so I knew this had to be good. J Since we had all the ingredients and needed a dessert for our Friday movie night, I made it 
that very day. I have to agree with her: this cake is ridiculously easy and delicious! I added some chocolate chips and leftover sprinkles to the top of our cake for decoration, but feel free to do what suits you! I’m sure it would be good frosted, while others might prefer it plain. Either way you do it, enjoy!

Wacky Cake


2 cups sugar
6 Tablespoons cocoa
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups water
¾ cup oil
2 to 3 Tablespoons white vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla

Whisk all ingredients together. Pour into greased 9x13 inch pan. Bake at 350F for about an hour. Allow to cool before slicing. Enjoy! Makes 18 servings.

No comments: