Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I Love Summer!

Perhaps it has something to do with being born smack in the middle of summer. Perhaps it has to do with my seemingly genetic gravitation towards warm weather. Or maybe it has to do with my love for fresh, in-season produce. Whatever it may be, summer and I have a love affair. J

I was reminded of this love the other night. Mom wasn’t feeling very good, so she asked me to make dinner for us (she is feeling better now though!) We had just bought fresh asparagus from the fruit and vegetable market a few days before, as well as a chive plant and some rhubarb. She suggested a “simple supper” of scrambled eggs, cooked asparagus, toast, and rhubarb crunch (look for the recipe soon!)

Well, I usually don’t do “just scrambled eggs.” This was exactly what I had bought the chives for: to cook with! I started the asparagus boiling, scrambled up the eggs with the herbs, and put the bread in the toaster. I left the eggs to stay warm on the back of the stove, drained the asparagus and tossed it with butter, put the toast on the plates, and slid the rhubarb crunch into the oven to warm up.

Then I noticed the beautiful wildflowers that someone had picked and set them on the table. I poured milk, set the table, put out butter, salt, and pepper, and called for dinner.


Our simple, but delicious meal.

There wasn’t anything fancy to this meal, but it was so fresh and reminded me of the wonderful summer days ahead: delicious home-grown and fresh-from-the-farm produce, carefree evenings, and time together as a family. It also gives me a good feeling to serve something simple but delicious to my family. Knowing that I can serve them and bring them joy with seemingly little things like chives and asparagus, makes me a very happy girl indeed!

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Someone should give you a gold medal for getting the troops to eat asparagus! What is your secret? And....did your Dad eat some too?

PS - I really enjoy reading your blogs :-)

7 Eagles said...

Well Aunt Debbie, it's never been a struggle for us to get everyone to eat asparagus! :-) I think it was always rather "hyped" for us. We were so excited to get to eat this once-or-twice-a-year treat that we never complained! We loved dipping them in ranch dressing.

Yes, Dad did eat some too! In fact, he loves asparagus!

Thanks for your P.S.! Maybe someday you all should have a blog so that we can keep up with you!

Love you and miss you!

~Bianca

Anonymous said...

North American asparagus can be very good. German white asparagus (Spargel) is interesting. It is much larger and a little stringy. It is often served with a Hollandaise sauce, which makes it interesting.

Dad

7 Eagles said...

Hmmm, very interesting, Daddy! :-) Perhaps someday I will get to try this white asparagus!

~Bianca