Sunday, June 12, 2011

The 'Nevers'



 “O LORD, May I never fail to come to the knowledge of the truth,
Never rest in a system of doctrine, however scriptural,
That does not bring or further salvation…
Never confine my religion to extraordinary occasions,
But acknowledge thee in all my ways;
Never limit my devotions to particular seasons
But be in thy fear all the day long;
Never be godly only on the sabbath or in thy house,
But on every day abroad and at home;
Never make piety a dress but a habit,
Not only a habit but a nature,
Not only a nature but a life.”

 -- (from “The ‘Nevers’ of the Gospel” in “The Valley of Vision”)


 (posted by Betsy)

2 comments:

Amy said...

The last three lines speak so much.

7 Eagles said...

I agree, Amy. They present a lifelong challenge to us in our walk with the Lord.

~ Betsy