Saturday, June 25, 2011

Recipe--Cheddar Bread

Last week, I needed to make a batch of Whole Wheat Bread, but I just wasn’t in the mood for all the work/risings/baking etc. But I needed to have some sugar-free bread to bring on vacation with us. Suddenly, I remembered our recipe for cheddar bread! This bread goes together just like a quick bread, but it is not at all sweet. It has a very mild taste especially if you use mild cheddar cheese versus sharp. This recipe would make excellent muffins to go along with soup!

Cheddar Bread


2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon honey
½ a teaspoon onion salt
½ a teaspoon leaf oregano (I used 1 teaspoon of fresh)
¼ teaspoon dry mustard
1-¼ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I used mild because that’s all that we had on hand)
1 egg
1 cup milk (I used whey that was left over from making yogurt)
1 tablespoon butter, melted

Mix dry ingredients together. Mix together wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Add wet ingredients all at once to the dry ingredients. Stir until just moistened. Spread batter in a greased 8 ½ x 4 ½ inch loaf pan. Bake at 350° F for 45 minutes. Makes 1 loaf.

No comments: