Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Memorial Day Festivities: Garden Work

While we took plenty of time to remember our veterans over the Memorial Day weekend, we did get a lot of work and celebration in. In fact, I timed 6 hours of gardening work! It started early Friday morning when Daddy took the day off. So, without further ado, here are some pictures of our weekend:

Friday (May 27th)
 
Monday night (the 23rd) Daddy and I went to Home Depot as part of our Daddy-Daughter date night (yes, I agreed to go to that store!J) We picked up some tomato trellises, plants, and supplies to build raised beds! Friday morning found us outside working in the cold 50-degree weather trying to dig through muddy clay. And yes, I got VERY dirty.

Monday night (the 23rd) Daddy and I went to Home Depot as part of our Daddy-Daughter date night (yes, I agreed to go to that store!J) We picked up some tomato trellises, plants, and supplies to build raised beds! Friday morning found us outside working in the cold 50-degree weather trying to dig through muddy clay. And yes, I got VERY dirty.

Next I spread 5 bags of topsoil in each of the 4 beds.

The finished beds (picture taken on Friday afternoon)!

Saturday (May 28th)

Saturday the weather was a bit nicer, and found me outside working in my garden yet again! Here’s my day in pictures:


My tools all set and ready to go.

In the past I’ve had problems with baby bunnies getting through my wire fencing and eating up my seedlings. With the amount of produce I plant, I can’t have that happening, so I put up poultry fencing in addition to my large wire fencing.

My next job was to tackle the cucumber trellis. Since I rearranged my garden, the wire needed to be cut down, re-stapled to the posts, and put into the garden.

Next, I put together my Ultomato® trellises in.

Now the fun part: planting!

Finished! In the left bed I planted 3 hills of cucumbers, and 5 cantaloupe seedlings. In the back right corner, I planted a zucchini seedling, several squash seeds, and 4 ornamental gourd plants. In the bed that is cut off, I had 3 tomato plants (Sweet 100s, Chocolate Cherries, and an Early Girl), 5 jalapeno plants, 5 bell pepper plants, spinach, and lettuce. Also to the left, I planted a dianthus plant, and to the right foreground of the photo I planted Zinnias and Nasturtium.
Monday (May 31th)

Monday morning, Mom and I went out to buy some last minute herbs for me to plant. The weather was extremely hot and sticky with temperatures in the upper 80’s. But I still got a good bit accomplished, thankfully!


All set and ready to go plant!

Left to right: Back: Basil seedlings, Sweet Mint, Rosemary, Parsley, Oregano, Chives (soon to be!) Front: Cilantro seeds.

So all I have left is to buy a chive plant (which is really hard to find) and water and watch everything grow! Stay tuned for more about our Memorial Day weekend festivities!

4 comments:

Amy said...

No need to buy a chive plant, if you will be in our area sometime soon. We have plenty of chives to share.

We usually plant our garden on Memorial Day, but the ground was too wet this year.

Technoprairie said...

I too have plenty of chives. Want to drive up and get some??

7 Eagles said...

I wish we were going to be coming your way soon, Amy! I think we may come to a park day later in the month, but I don't think your family usually comes to those.

Indeed, the ground was pretty wet around Memorial Day weekend! Our garden is small enough that I went ahead and planted any way.

Thanks for your comment, Amy!


~Bianca

7 Eagles said...

Thanks for the offer, Technoprairie! I'd love to visit, but it's a little far to drive just for chives! We hope to find a chive plant at the fruit and vegetable market tomorrow.

As a side note, we will be up for a homeschool park day later in the month hopefully. We'd love to see you all!

~Bianca