Saturday, July 2, 2011

Recipe--Quick Whole Wheat Bread


Earlier this week, I wasn’t up to baking the time-intensive whole wheat bread that I normally make. But I had just made cheddar bread the week before, so I wasn’t quite in the mood for that either. I dug around and found this recipe for Quick Whole Wheat Bread. I was a bit skeptical because it seemed too easy. But it turned out quite well actually! It has the texture of a sweet bread (banana, pumpkin, zucchini, etc.) but it has a mild taste of buttermilk and honey. It will be a keeper around here!

Quick Whole Wheat Bread


4 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups flour
¾ cups honey
2 teaspoons salt
¼ cup sesame seeds (I omitted this because we didn’t have any on hand. But if you try it, let me know if it makes a difference in taste!)
1 quart buttermilk
4 teaspoons baking soda

Stir together first five ingredients. Combine buttermilk and baking soda; stir into flour mixture. Turn into 2 greased 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pans. Place in a 375° oven. Immediately turn heat to 350° and bake 60 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into center comes out clean (mine cooked a bit faster, so keep an eye on it.) Remove from pans and cool on racks. Makes 2 loaves.

No comments: