Wednesday, July 6, 2011

First Harvest!

It’s about time for a garden update! In fact, you’ll probably not recognize the plants now! The biggest announcement in garden news is that we had our first official vegetable harvest last week:


Lettuce!!! So far we’ve picked about 3 ounces, which doesn’t seem like much, but we stretched it into two side dishes. It was quite tasty!
Back row: L to R, Sweet 100’s tomato, Chocolate Cherry tomato, Early Girl Tomato. Middle row: L to R, Bell Peppers, Jalapeno peppers.
Front rows: L to R, Lettuce, one little spinach plant (I need to replant.)
My Early Girl tomato has lots of blooms on it. I’m looking forward to some juicy tomatoes in just a couple of weeks!
My squash bed! Somewhere in there is a zucchini plant, three summer squash plants, and three ornamental gourd plants. Don’t ask me where one begins and the other ends because I don’t know! J
The first zucchini! We will be able to harvest it in about a week’s time hopefully.
I love watching the runners slowly unfold. Our wonderful God saw fit to create beauty even in the most unexpected places!
L to R: cucumbers growing up the trellis, and my cantaloupe patch.
I have lots of buds on my cantaloupe vines. I’m hoping this will be a good melon year, because I think cantaloupe is my favorite fruit ever!
*Please excuse the weeds in this picture.* That row of plants coming up is my nasturtiums. And there is a little clump of zinnias growing up on the right side of the picture.
Unfortunately I lost my dianthus blooms to the spiders. L I was hoping they would spice up a salad or two, but I’ll have to wait a bit longer I suppose. Does anyone know of a good organic spider or ant repellant that’s safe to use in my garden? Because I think they are the ones eating the leaves off my peppers, cucumbers, and dianthus.
My lavender has been in bloom for awhile. I suppose I should start drying them for sachets soon!
My herb garden on the deck. L to R: cilantro (which finally sprouted all at once), basil, sweet mint, and rosemary.
L to R: parsley, oregano, chives, and catnip. My catnip and parsley have grown into near bushes! They are definitely thriving.
Meet the resident parsley caterpillar. He actually doesn’t eat much, he just sits on the plant. I let him stay since he does no harm.

And that’s about all the garden news right now! In a week or two, I’m sure there will be lots of “first” harvests, so stay tuned!

6 comments:

Amy said...

We've tried sprinkling plants with diatomaceous earth before.

Technoprairie said...

I'd look online. Maybe cayenne pepper?

We got our first zucchini and tomato today (from our 4th of July tomato plant)! We'll have eggplant later this week. We've had lots of peas and some new potatoes. I'm getting hungry just typing this!

Sarah said...

Yay! So excited for you, Bianca! And everything is looking great. Enjoy all of that fresh produce!

7 Eagles said...

Thanks for the tip, Amy! Lauren mentioned that to me, so I will have to see if I can find some.

~Bianca

7 Eagles said...

Thank you for your comment and the tip on trying cayenne pepper, Technoprairie! And congratulations on your first harvest! You're making me hungry describing all of that yummy produce. :-)

~Bianca

7 Eagles said...

Thank you for your comment, Sarah! We are looking forward to harvesting much more in the coming days and weeks.

~Bianca