Monday, May 20, 2013

Hudson Taylor Quotes



~Posted by Rubia

Recently I finished reading a book for school on Hudson Taylor, a famous and well-known missionary who lived in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s. I really enjoy non-fiction books about real missionaries, mostly because everything or at least almost everything that you read about them is true and really happened! The book is from the “Trailblazers” series, written by Catherine Mackenzie. It was a very good book about Hudson’s life as a missionary to China, and all of the hardships and adventures he went through, and how God was with him every step of the way.

These are some of his quotes that I read:

“When I cannot read; when I cannot think; when I cannot even pray; I can trust.”

“There is a God; He has spoken to us in the Bible; He means what He says.”

“You do not need a great faith; but faith in a great God.”

“Is our path dark? God is our sun. Are we in danger? God is our shield.”

“I have not known what anxiety is since the Lord taught me that the work is His. My great business in life is to please God. Walking with Him in the light, I never feel a burden.”

This one is one of my favorites:

When will it dawn on the Lord’s people that God’s command to preach the gospel to every creature was not intended for the wastepaper basket?”

Taylor’s son Howard goes on to say that “Hudson Taylor prayed as if everything depended on the praying and worked as if everything depended on the working.” I think that this is true considering how he acted in this book.

I think that my favorite quote, at this time especially, would be when Taylor said “I have not known what anxiety is since the Lord taught me that the work is His.” During difficult times, God has taught me to “not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” Also to “Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.” (Phillipians 4:6 and 1 Peter 5:7). I believe that God is pleased when we trust in Him.

No comments: