Saturday, May 11, 2013

Recipe--Applesauce Spice Bread



Something about me that many of you may not know, is that I used to have a bread business. In my middle-school years, I used to bake and sell about 20 loaves of bread per week to friends and church family. I had about 20 different breads on my menu, and often tried new recipes to add to my repertoire.

One of the breads I made is Applesauce Spice Bread. That bread is the favorite of our youngest (known) blog reader, R. His Dad was the Pastor of our church in Michigan, and I would occasionally make a loaf for their family.

As I’ve mentioned before, their family moved to Texas about 6 months before we did and Dad and I recently visited them on our trip to Houston. I made sure to bring a loaf of Applesauce Spice Bread with me, just for R. J But then he asked if I had ever posted the recipe on the blog. He had looked on our recipe page and couldn’t find it. I thought for sure I had posted it before, but when I got home I discovered that I hadn’t.

So now I’m posting the recipe! Now R can have the bread any time he feels like making it (or begs his Mom to make it for him. J Sorry for creating more work for you, Miss Stacy!)

Applesauce Spice Bread


2 Cups unsweetened applesauce (we’ve tried using homemade applesauce before, and we’ve concluded that store-bought sauce works best)
1 cup sugar
¼ cup oil
2 ½ cups flour
¼ teaspoon salt
1/3 teaspoon cloves
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon cinnamon

Mix applesauce, sugar, and oil. In a separate bowl, blend the remaining ingredients before combining with the applesauce mixture.

Bake in a greased bread pan at 350°F for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean (works best in wider/larger bread pans.) Let bread cool, then slice. Makes 1 large loaf.


4 comments:

Stacy said...

Thank you for posting the recipe! This bread sure is a hit in our home. Now we can enjoy it whenever and always remember who it came from. Hmm..Have you ever tried making muffins with this recipe? Did they still turn out as moist? I'll have to experiment.

7 Eagles said...

You're welcome, Miss Stacy! I don't think I've ever made muffins from this recipe, but I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as you reduce the baking time some. If you should try it, let me know how it works!

~Bianca

Leah said...

Wow! I'm impressed that you had a bread business and make 20 loaves of bread per week while you were young and still in school. Why did you stop doing it?

7 Eagles said...

Actually, Leah, I stopped making bread because of school! :-) I had the bread business in 7th and 8th grade. But I stopped when I entered high school because I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up with it!

~Bianca