Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Church in Port Huron

This past Sunday our family had the opportunity to help our church out with a ministry project. We recently partnered with a church start-up. Our worship team goes to their church every Sunday afternoon to play the music for their worship service. We wanted to make sure that we joined them at least once before we moved.

 
Immediately after our church service ended, we loaded up the instruments and piled into cars and started the long drive to the church start.

We arrived around 2:30 p.m. and set everything up before the service started at 3:00 p.m.


Ben helped Pastor S lead worship by playing the Djembe. He did a great job considering the fact that he never got to practice the songs ahead of time.
I played the offertory on the keyboard.
We girls sang our version of “In Times Like These” with Rubia playing on the guitar.
After church was over, we were standing around outside with the instruments waiting for the grow-ups to come out with the car keys. This is what happens when a bunch of teenagers get bored. J
Me and my dear friend, C. I am going to miss her SO MUCH when we move. She is so much fun to be around. I smile and laugh so much when I’m with her, my face is sore afterwards! J
We were all starved since we didn’t get to eat lunch, so we all went out for dinner together (it’s actually become a tradition for those who come to help to go out to eat afterward.) If you ever happen to be in the Port Huron area, you MUST stop by The Raven CafĂ©. I know it looks kind of haunted from the outside, but it’s actually one of the oldest buildings in the city.
We all went up to the loft and sat on the plush oversize couches together. All fourteen of us squished together and looked over the menus.
Our evening was filled with so many laughs! J I love this group of people so much.
I trusted the recommendation of my friend C and ordered what she said was good. The cup of hot chocolate has ruined me for life. It was like a candy bar in a cup! I was very sad when it was gone.
Ben enjoying his Chai Chiller (it tastes like Christmas in a cup!) and C enjoying her hot chocolate.
One of the best parts of The Raven is that you can see Sarnia from the back balcony. We got to watch a big freighter go by on the river, headed towards the lake.
We had to wait about an hour for our food since we were such a large group, but no one really minded because we were having such good fellowship. J
The food was AMAZING! I had a BLT and split an order of spinach dip and tortilla chips with C. It was well worth the wait!

One the way home I rode in the truck with Pastor S, my friend C, and another friend from church, A. We had a fun ride home! Our afternoon was such a blessing to us! It really reminds me of what the early church must have been like. People didn’t just go to church for a few hours on a Sunday, and then go about their week. They did life together. They did ministry together.
 
Being able to minister and spend the day fellowshipping with fellow believers was a wonderful start to the week! I’m so glad we were able to go!
 

2 comments:

Alexis Wassenberg said...

My dad plays the D'jembe in our worship team at church (not to mention at home ;) and Hannah plays the piano (& sings). I'll probably start singing in the worship team too once I turn 16 (September 8th!). Our family is rather musical- The Wassenberg Family Singers! ;) No, we don't have an official name but I thought that was a ironic one! :)

It looks like y'all enjoyed your fellowship with like-minded friends! That's always fun and uplifting! :)

Have a blessed day!

Joyfully His,
Alexis

7 Eagles said...

It's neat that your family is involved in the worship team at your church too, Alexis! It's a great way to serve. I love the name, "The Wassenberg Family Singers!" :-) It has a nice ring to it.

We definitely enjoyed our time of fellowship with our friends from church! Being with them is always fun and encouraging!

~Bianca