Saturday, November 24, 2012

Recipe--Pumpkin Pie Bars


Last weekend, we had a reunion with our Haiti team. The day before our get-together, I had been reading the Tasty Kitchen blog and came across this recipe. I knew right away that I had to try it. I took a risk and made it for our guests even though I had never tried it before (that seems to be a tradition in our family, to test out recipes on guests.) J They turned out delicious, and everyone loved them! These bars taste like a cross between pumpkin pie and coffee cake. Even though Thanksgiving has passed, make sure you try them!
Pumpkin Pie Bars
 

1 box (18 oz. size) yellow cake mix, divided
1 whole egg, lightly beaten
½ cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar, divided
2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
½ teaspoon ginger
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup canned pumpkin
2/3 cup evaporated milk
2 eggs
¼ cup cold butter, diced
 
This recipe has three parts, a crust, a filling and a topping. Before you start anything, preheat your oven to 350°F, and grease a 13×9 pan.
 
For the crust:
Reserve 1 cup of the cake mix for the topping. Pour remaining cake mix into a bowl, then stir in the one beaten egg and the 1/2 cup of melted butter until the mixture is well combined. Press evenly into the 13×9 pan and set aside.
 
For the filling:
Combine 3/4 cup of sugar, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, the ginger, cloves, salt, pumpkin, evaporated milk and 2 eggs together. Using a whisk, stir until smooth. Pour over the crust.
 
For the topping:
Stir together the 1 cup of reserved cake mix, and the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Cut in the 1/4 cup of diced butter using a pastry blender or a fork. Sprinkle evenly over the filling.
 
Bake at 350°F for 35-40 minutes, or until filling is set. Allow to cool completely, cut into 24 bars, and serve!
 

4 comments:

Noelle said...

The pumpkin bars look so yummy! I may have to try them!
Would be so kind to put the dip your mom made on Friday night. I am craving it!!!!

7 Eagles said...

They were yummy, Aunt Noelle! I will email you the dip recipe that Mom made. I will put it on the blog later this month, but I don't want you to wait. :-)

~Bianca

Jimmy Lang said...

Pumpkin bars look really good. I wonder how good they would be with a cream cheese layer in between.

Carmen Lang

7 Eagles said...

I bet cream cheese would be a good addition, Mrs. Lang! If you try it, let me know how it turns out!

~Bianca