Monday, May 9, 2011

Doing Devotions

(Posted by Roma)


When Ruby and I were at the Mexican restaurant, after we got baptized at church, my parents gave us each a devotional journal. Inside the journal, you could write just about anything. So Rubia and I decided we were going to write what we learned from reading a devotion book that she had purchased from a Christian bookstore.


The devotion book is called “Girl Talk.” It has stories of real girls, who learn to make choices. After we read the stories, we use the journals Mom and Dad gave us to write about what we learned, and answer questions they ask in the book. There are 52 weekly devotion stories—but there is writing to do each day.

But I had noticed that in my devotion journal, there was always a Bible verse at the bottom of each page. I decided that I wanted to apply that Bible verse, to whatever I was writing about in my journal that day. But how? What if the verse had nothing to do with what I was writing about?

So I prayed and asked God about it, and so far, God has helped me to always apply the Bible verses to the “Girl Talk” topic for that day! To show you what I mean, here is an example I wrote in my devotional journal:

Story Name: “Are You a Quitter?”
(read 2 Tim 1:7)

Today we learned about a girl named Jessica who was afraid of riding a horse, but she ended up not being a quitter! She also ended up becoming a great rider, and she taught younger children how to ride horses. In the book, they asked us to tell a story about a time something like that happened to us. I remember my first time riding a horse. I was so nervous, but I did it, knowing that God would protect me, and it was fun!

The verse on the bottom of the page was Psalm 23:1 (“The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.”) What does that have to do with not being a quitter, I wondered. Then I knew…it DID apply to the story about Jessica!
The Lord is our shepherd, and we are the sheep. And as our shepherd, He watches over us. And “I shall not want” means that we should not be afraid, and want someone to always be with us, because God is watching over us. I don’t think we should be quitters, because we know that God is always there, and He has a plan for us.
I have lots more great ones I could share, but I think I’ll leave room for other people’s posts!:-) Bye!

6 comments:

Amy said...

Great application Roma.

Debbie said...

I agree with you Roma. The only time we need to consider quitting is when our wittness would be damaged.

I would enjoy reading another post on what you have learned. Keep sharing!

Love, Aunt Debbie

7 Eagles said...

Thank you, Amy. I really enjoy applying the verses in my journal to my devotions.

I hope we can see you again soon!

~ Roma

7 Eagles said...

Thank you for your comment, Aunt Debbie. I do agree with you about quitting when your witness would be damaged. Maybe some other time I can share another devotion!

I hope to see you soon!

~ Roma

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo
News. Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo
News? I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Thanks
Also see my webpage > Garden supply

7 Eagles said...

Thank you for your comment, Anonymous, but I'm afraid we can't help with your question. Sorry!

~Bianca