Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Driver's Ed

As I said on Thursday, I have been attending Driver’s Ed for the past week. It has been quite a learning experience!


Me, on the first day of class. I’m looking forward to being able to drive my Mom’s car soon!

I had prayed that the Lord would bring someone to the class whom I knew. When I walked in, a friend from our old church was there to take the class! I also made friends with a girl who is a talented runner, and we are now driving partners.

I drove for the first time ever on the second day of class. I was rather nervous! My friend drove first and she was great. We then went back to the place where class meets to pick up a boy who needed to observe for an hour. I sat behind the wheel and did all of the necessary adjustments to the seat, mirrors, etc. Unfortunately, I thought it would take a lot more effort on the pedal to make the car move forward. Not so! J I think I scared my passengers by that sudden jolt of speed. But they recovered.

The really scary part was that once we did a loop around the parking lot, my instructor had me pull out onto the main road. This is probably the busiest section of our entire town, with a 5-lane road. This was where my very first drive ever was going to be. Yep, it was intimidating.

Nevertheless, everything went a lot better than I expected. The hardest things for me were turning right (I was pretty jerky) and not drifting to the right side of the road when driving straight. The instructor used his brake on me a lot, but I don’t blame him!

So far, I’ve had several more classes and have driven a second time. The second drive was much better, and I tackled two 4-way intersections and 3 railroad crossings. And I didn’t hit the curb during my right turns! Improvement!

Today I will be driving in the “real” part of downtown where there are lots of one-ways, Michigan turn-arounds, and other “city stuff.” I may drive on the highway too. I’ll try to update you when I (hopefully) pass my test later this month!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Ah, your post reminded me of my first day driving. I think it was in January. Schools were closed in the morning, but I drove in the afternoon when the roads were okay. I was oblivious to the fact that road conditions were worse than normal.

Debbie said...

I'm glad you have a friend to share your driving experiences with:-) Busy city roads drive the same as country roads. They just have more turkeys.

Morgan is studying for her permit and hopes to take her test before school starts. She can't wait to start driving!

7 Eagles said...

Wow Amy, it sounds like you had quite the experience for your first drive! I'm a bit nervous about my first drive in the snow, but I'm sure I'll get used to it pretty fast considering how much of the year we spend with snow on the ground! :-)

~Bianca

7 Eagles said...

It does make it much more fun to have friends in class, Aunt Debbie! I'll have to make sure that I watch out for turkeys once I drive out in the country. :-)

I hope that Morgan's driving experience will go well! I'll be thinking of her.

~Bianca