Saturday, August 6, 2011

Recipe--Rosemary Cookies

Several years ago, I was looking for a way to use up fresh rosemary. A good friend of ours emailed us a recipe for rosemary cookies. I was quite skeptical at first, but once I tried them, I was quickly hooked. These cookies are delightfully refreshing and unique. We make sure that we make a few batches while the rosemary is fresh during the summer! Give them a try!

Rosemary Cookies


1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter at room temperature
½ cup confectioner’s sugar
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or in our case, aluminum foil greased with butter.) Have a glass with a flat edge bottom and a small dish of granulated sugar ready.

In a medium bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter and confectioners’ sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low and gradually add the flour and the rosemary.



This is what mine looked like.
Then switch to a wooden spoon or your hands to mix.


I always divide my dough up to make sure that I get enough cookies.
Form teaspoonfuls of dough into balls and place about 3 inches apart on the prepared sheet. Wet the bottom of the glass and shake to remove excess water. Press the bottom of the glass into the granulated sugar and then press the glass onto the dough round. (You will have to keep pressing the glass into the sugar after every 2 or 3 cookies.)

Bake cookies, rotating sheets halfway through to ensure even browning, for 10-12 minutes or until the bottoms are just beginning to turn golden (mine took longer, and the cookies on the bottom rack turned out better than those on the top.) Transfer the sheet to a wire rack to cool for 2 minutes and transfer the cookies to a sheet of wax paper to cool.

Note: If you have another preferred sugar or butter cookie recipe, I would think that if you added 1 tablespoon of rosemary per 1 cup of flour, you would be fine.

Makes 2 dozen small cookies.


2 comments:

Debbie said...

Yummy, I wonder if the recipe would work using a smaller portion of dried rosemary?

7 Eagles said...

I've been wondering the same thing, Aunt Debbie! I want to try it sometime; if you happen to try it first, let me know how it works.

~Bianca