Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Trip to Ohio

A couple of weekends ago, we went to Ohio while Ben and Dad went to a Promise Keepers conference. The rest of us stayed with my grandparents and spent time with my cousins. I’ll let Ben share about the conference, but here are some pictures from our visit with my grandparents:


We were a little squished in the car because we tried to fit 7 people and all of our things into a Tahoe. But everyone tried to make the best of it (and we took lots of stretching breaks to flex those cramped legs. J)

Daddy and Ben preparing to leave for the conference Friday afternoon.

We had my aunt, uncle, 2 cousins, and one of my great-aunts over for dinner that night. As you can see, my cousin is quite a ham in front of the camera! J My Grandma provided the food, he provided the entertainment.

Speaking of food, we enjoyed a delicious Puerto Rican meal of rice and beans, pork stew, cantaloupe, rolls with butter, avocado wedges, maduros, chips and guacamole, and my Grandma’s homemade punch.

My cousin and Roma enjoying the meal out on the deck.

My Abuela getting ready to serve dessert.

We had Tembleque, chocolate hermits, and coconut cookies. If there’s any possible chance, you need to get yourself a Puerto Rican Grandma so that you can enjoy meals like this! J

After dinner, J and I chilled in the living room and watched a movie. He’s at the stage where he wants to do everything the big kids do. So he was careful to arrange his pillow just right and watch the movie even though it was more of an older-person movie. So cute!

Next morning, Josiah woke up early so that he could go to karate with our cousin. He really enjoyed watching!

For breakfast that morning (Saturday) we had bagels, omelets, hashbrowns, and pineapple-orange juice. It was quite the feast!

While the boys were gone at the conference, we made coconut ice cream! Here, my Grandpa pours the salt into the ice cream maker. He looks really serious, but we were having lots of fun!

Meanwhile, Rubia played with J outside. It was a beautiful day!

Have any of you heard the phrase that “such-and-such has my name on it?” when referencing food? Well, this ice cream literally has “my name on it!” J

While I waited for the ice cream to churn, I amused myself by taking photos. Here, J and Rubia intently watch a movie together.

I believe the scene they were currently watching was when the cowboys are rafting down the Colorado River and the boat flips. Thus the serious faces.

Finally, the ice cream is ready! It was out of this world! This was made with real coconuts that my Grandparents bought and cracked open themselves. You should definitely try making coconut ice cream from scratch some time!

For lunch we enjoyed rotisserie chicken, mashed potatoes, cantaloupe, sweet potato casserole, bread with butter, and chips with guacamole. Yet another feast!

Dessert was German Chocolate cake with the coconut ice cream. What a treat!

J cuddling with his Mommy after lunch.

After we had digested all of that food, we went to the neighborhood pool to burn off some calories. Here, the kids play a game in the kiddie pool.

They decided to dry off by swinging on the swings at the playground.

The boys arrived while we were at the pool, after being at the conference all day. We showered and ate a light snack before returning home. We all really enjoyed our time together and look forward to visiting again soon! Stay tuned for Ben’s post from the conference!

4 comments:

Amy said...

I'll keep my eye out for a Puerto Rican grandparent.

7 Eagles said...

You do that, Amy! :-) And if you find one, I'll have to send you a list of our favorite Puerto Rican dishes!

~Bianca

Debbie said...

As I was looking at the pictures of all the food my first thought was, CALORIES! I would put on ten pounds after a weekend with your grandmother enjoying her wonderful meals :-)

7 Eagles said...

Yes, we definitely enjoy lots of food at my grandmother's house, Aunt Debbie! We just do our best to stick with one serving of everything (especially the sweet things) and hope for the best! :-)

~Bianca