Saturday, August 13, 2011

Recipe--Beet Hummus

To be perfectly honest, I really didn’t think this recipe was blog-worthy. I had high hopes that this hummus would convert/convince me (NOT a beet lover) to enjoy beets. Though I personally was disappointed with the hummus, other members of the family really enjoyed it! So if you already don’t like beets, this recipe probably won’t convince you. But if you tolerate beets or better yet love them, I think you’ll enjoy this recipe.


Beet Hummus


1/2 pound scrubbed and trimmed beets
2 tbsp. tahini
2 tbsp. lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, quartered
1 tbsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
Cilantro to taste (we used plenty—fresh is best)
White pepper to taste

Cover beets with water in a cooking pot and bring to a boil. Cook them until they are super, super soft (If you pull them out too early, your food processor will have trouble pureeing them). Remove them from the water and let them cool until they can be handled. Slip off the skins and stems. Cube them and place the beets and the remaining ingredients into your food processor and process until smooth.


I admit that I love the color and texture of beets, even though I don’t like the taste.

My work space. I always pull out all of the ingredients and utensils I need before I start. Then I know if I’m lacking something from the get-go.

Ready. . .Set. . .Puree!

Serve warm or cold or room temperature with tortilla chips or pita wedges. Store, covered, in the refrigerator. (Recipe slightly adapted from Thy Hand Hath Provided.) Makes about 2 cups.

No comments: