Thursday, August 11, 2011

John 4:13-15


As a runner, one of my biggest enemies is thirst. After 2 or 3 miles, all I can think about is how thirsty I am. Every agonizing step reminds me that my throat is parched, that I’m losing precious water with every drop of sweat that falls, and that there is not another water station for another mile. All I can think about is getting my hands on a cup of cold water.

I finally reach the water station. I down as much water as I can while still jogging before dumping the remaining contents over my head. I’m finally satisfied.

2 miles later. . .

I am parched. Where in the world is the next station? I NEED WATER. No matter how much water I drink, I never feel completely satisfied.


It can be very hard to quench physical thirst. But it can be even harder to quench spiritual thirst. Sometimes we go through spiritual deserts, and all we can think about is quenching that thirst. John 4:13-15 says, “Jesus answered, ‘Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.’ The woman said to him, ‘Sir, give me this water so that I won't get thirsty and have to keep coming here to draw water."

Once we come to have a personal relationship with Christ, He fills that “God-shaped hole” that is in all of our hearts. While we will never be complete or filled while we remain in this fallen world, we can look forward to fullness and a quenched spirit in heaven one day. So now, whenever I feel that thirst while I run, I am reminded of this precious promise of spiritual quenching one day in heaven. How I look forward to that day!

No comments: